Band Promotion Blog

Support UBP By Following These Google Ads

July 10, 2012

Facebook Versus Your Website #BandPromotion

Filed under: Band Promotion — ian @ 5:03 pm

Skeleton Crew 5 piece rock band from Nottinghamshire UK

I left a comment on @michaelsb’s blog post: This is Exactly Why You Need Your Own Website recently; however, for some unknown reason it never appeared!!

His post features a message posted by the Skeleton Crew on their Facebook page which said:

“Dear Facebook, We the bands did not spend all those hours building up our fan base to have you restrict who our posts go to. If somebody likes our page it means that they Do actually want to hear about us, see our photos and attend our gigs. By restricting our posts to only those you select, you are actually messing up what we do. The fact that you think we’ll pay you to lift the restriction is laughable. We don’t actually make any money, we do this for love! Please rectify this ASAP, Thank You!”

Is Facebook actively restricting bands posts? From what I’ve read and know, I’d say NO! There is something called the EdgeRank algorithm, but I’m pretty sure it’s not there as a heavy handed newsfeed censor, more of a spam filter, however, Facebook like MySpace, Twitter, Google+ etc., do have their own commercial agendas - That’s why a band should never put all their eggs into one basket and solely rely on them for free marketing and promotion. Make your band’s Website the centre of your online activities. As Michael said, “Don’t put yourself into a position where you are dependent on Facebook.” Or any other social networking site - it’s an old chestnut of mine!

If you want to promote a gig, don’t just use Facebook and expect a full house, use all the promo tools to hand, especially your email list :)

I have 101 Reasons Why Your Band Needs A Website; most importantly saying, if you want to be taken seriously by the music industry, get yourselves a real Website; owning a website shows credibility, control and professionalism; and a well designed website can give you a big advantage over other bands, similar to yours, who don’t have a website.

BTW, the Skeleton Crew have a lovely website :)

8 Comments »

1. Thanks for alerting me to the missing comment, I found yours and one other in the Spam folder in WordPress. Akismet must not have liked it for some reason. Anyway it is live now.

Comment by Michael Brandvold — July 10, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

2. Thanx Michael, please edit my spelling mistake of your name.

Comment by ian — July 11, 2012 @ 7:29 am

3. That’s a lot of good reasons to have a website, I recently created spunkymunkey.com, to get a grip on every song I’d ever written and to ensure that anything written going forward, comes through the website. I think many of us jumped on the online stores bandwagon without fully understanding the long tail of marketing.

Comment by Spunky Munkey — July 15, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

4. Hey Michael

Thanks for article. It goes to prove that having things that we own means dodging the algorithm changes, the company policies and decisions that no one except board members get to make.

I certainly believe that facebook, twitter, and other platforms are ways to keep connected with fans, but primarily, to invite fans to join a band’s journey or revolution. That means being part of a community through a mail subscriptions, text or email, or maybe all three.

Facebook can do a MySpace 3.0 at any time. And so could all the other mediums out there. So you’re right about not putting all the eggs in one basket.

Thanks for the heads-up too.

Gemma

Comment by Gemma Diroski Lou — August 1, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

5. Cheers Gemma, the name’s Ian BTW …Or maybe you did mean Michael? ;D

Comment by ian — August 3, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

6. My bad. I meant Ian but saw Michael in the comments so assumed, albeit, wrongly! :( shame on me lol.

Again, thanks for the heads up on facebook. Had no idea until now.

Comment by Gemma Diroski Lou — August 15, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

7. It’s OK Gemma, no problem, I was only winding you up a little! Thank you for calling by an leaving a kind comment :) Oh and by the way, I Love your blog: DIROSKI

Comment by ian — August 16, 2012 @ 8:41 am

8. Hey Ian , that’s insane!! Thanks for checking out the blog. Honoured! And glad you like it. :D :D :D

Comment by Gemma D Lou — August 19, 2012 @ 11:24 pm